Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Can I return a "new" used car that I got from a dealer on Saturday today?

I financed a %26quot;new%26quot; used car in Washington State on Saturday. The dealer agreed to two checks for the $3,000 down payment. One for 3/27 and one for 4/10. Now the dealer is telling me he has to deposit the second check by 3/31 and can%26#039;t wait until 4/10 because they are a public company. I don%26#039;t know what he means by that exactly.



At any rate, he then tells me it will bounce on the 31st and they will redeposit it on 4/10. Aren%26#039;t I going to get dinged for bouncing a check and aren%26#039;t I going to have to pay a bounced check fee? This doesn%26#039;t sound good or right to me. I feel like they are being shady. I have always written two checks for my down payments and have never had this problem.



Can I and should I just return the car and tell them to get lost?



Can I return a %26quot;new%26quot; used car that I got from a dealer on Saturday today?

OK - the REAL reason he wants to deposit that check on 3/31 is so that it counts in their first-quarter numbers. If they hammer the check in March, they get credit for the sale in March, and thus in Q1.



If he deposits it and it bounces, yes you are getting hit for bounced check fees and all that other crap.



As a dealer - I have to say that it is unethical practices like this that give us all a bad name.



Now, if you try to return the car, they are going to tell you that you are an owner. You signed the contract, you drove the car off, its yours. If they checks bounce, they can try to pursue you for passing a bad check. Its kind of a catch 22.



When you gave them the checks, did you sign anything that said when it would be deposited? At my dealership , we have a form that discloses the exact dates the checks will be deposited. If you have that, then you have an %26#039;out%26#039;. Since THEY are breaching the agreement by cashing the check prior to the agreed date, the contract is void. If you don%26#039;t have that form, there still may be another out . What date did you put on the check? If you wrote 4/10 and they hammer it before then, that is also a breach on their part.



I would go to the dealership, have a frank conversation with the general manager. Tell him that these are the terms you agreed to. If he is not willing to abide by those terms, then give the keys back and stop payment on those checks.



Im sorry you are having a bad experience. Hopefully there are other dealers in your area that are not this unethical.



Can I return a %26quot;new%26quot; used car that I got from a dealer on Saturday today?

You should tell them to screw off if they are able. 3k for a public company is NOT going to make that big of a difference. Did you sign a %26quot;hold check%26quot; agreement? If so, tell them if they violate it you will sue for breach of contract!



Can I return a %26quot;new%26quot; used car that I got from a dealer on Saturday today?

You have agreed to their terms (although shady) and as such have no recourse. If you felt something wasn%26#039;t kosher with the deal, you should not have signed the papers and given them the checks.



Can I return a %26quot;new%26quot; used car that I got from a dealer on Saturday today?

Not unless the dealer offers a return policy in writing. Car deals are final. You should get your finances straightened out before you go buy your next car. You might have an out if it states your down payment arrangement in the contract. If they deposit the checks before the date stated in the contract, that would ostensibly void the contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment